A Harvard Study found that half of all US children and adolescents are not getting enough hydration1. With a picky eater on your hands, we know this can make consistent hydration even more challenging.
We've compiled this list of 15 fun ways to entice your picky eater into drinking more fluids.
1. Offer a variety of drinks: Giving your picky-eater options can help to allow them to feel like they have a level of control over their choices. Helping them to feel less frustrated and more empowered when making a beverage decision.
2. Use fun straws: Kids love straws, so why not make drinking more fun with colorful straws? We like reusable straws to help reduce waste.
3. Use fun cups: Just like fun straws, fun cups can make drinking more enjoyable. Try using cups with their favorite cartoon characters or fun patterns.
4. Make ice cubes with fruit: Add some flavor to plain water by freezing fruit pieces in ice cube trays. Your picky eater will enjoy watching the fruit cubes melt and add flavor to their drink.
5. Infuse water with flavor: Infuse water with fruits, herbs, or even vegetables to give it a unique taste. Try cucumber and mint, lemon and ginger, or strawberry and basil.
6. Offer frozen treats: Freeze fruit juice, smoothies, or even milk to make fun frozen treats. These can be a great way to get your picky eater to drink more fluids in the summer.
7. Try warm drinks: If your kiddo doesn't like cold drinks, try offering warm drinks like warm water, non-caffeinated herbal tea, or warm milk.
8. Give them a choice! Give your picky eater some control over what they drink by letting them choose between a few different options.
9. Use a reward system: Offer a small reward for every cup or bottle of fluid your picky eater drinks. Our stickers work great for this.
10. Add bubbles: Adding carbonation or using a frother to make delightful bubbles that help turn any simple drink into a sensory experience.
11. Make drinking a game: Create a game where your little one has to take a drink or sip every time they hear a certain word or see a certain object.
12. Use a fun water bottle: Give your kiddo the option to pick out a fun water bottle that they'll want to use. We are partial to our water bottle with a built-in straw. Having them decorate their water bottle with stickers can create a fun ritual too.
13. Try different temperatures: Your picky eater might prefer drinks at room temperature, so experiment with different temperatures to see what they like best.
14. Make smoothies: Smoothies can be a great way to get your kiddo to drink more fluids and also get some extra nutrients. Having them participate in the process can help too.
15. Sneak in fluids: If your little one won't drink fluids on their own, try adding them to foods like soup, smoothies, or mashed potatoes. This can be a great way to sneak in some extra fluids without them even noticing.
By incorporating Begin Health Growing up Prebiotics into any of these ideas, you can elevate your little one’s hydration journey. Begin Health Growing up Prebiotics is a specially formulated supplement designed to support your toddler and kids overall gut health and immunity with 3g of fiber per serving.
Simply add a packet or scoop of Begin Health Growing up Prebiotics to their favorite drink or smoothie and let the gut health positive journey begin. With the added boost of prebiotics, you can ensure that your little one not only stays hydrated but also nurtures a healthy gut microbiome. Embrace the power of creative fluid intake combined with Begin Health Growing up Prebiotics for a winning combination that promotes both hydration and optimal health in your picky eater.
Reference 1: Erica K., Michael L, Angie C., Steven G Inadequate Hydration Among US Children, Am J Public Health 2015; 105:e113–e118. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2015.302572
© 2023 Begin Health, Inc. All Rights Reserved.